Friday, June 19, 2009

Mission Work

So it's confession time:

I, Bethany J, have never been on a mission trip.

Now this may seem strange as I like Jesus and helping people and hanging out with church folks... but I'm totally fer reals... I've never been on a mission trip.

So it's been kind of a strange experience... having never gone on a mission trip and now having my entire summer be one long mission trip.

It's been really good, though. When I applied for this internship I applied with the knowledge that I am called to serve the "least of these" but in a more administrative way as that's the best way to use my gifts. I knew, though, that to better serve the least of these I needed to know what it is like to be in the "thick of it" working with and for the least of these.

So it's been kind of amazing and eye-opening. Oftentimes we white liberals tend to think we know what's best for others when really we have no clue. Once we start serving the least of these, though, and getting into the thick of things we understand much better what the needs of the community are and how to best serve and work with the communities that we wish to help. It's been very neat.

Anyway, that's what's been on my mind lately. I hope all is well and the summer is going fantastically. I feel like this summer is just flying by... I can't helieve I've been gone for four weeks already! Holy cow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Stats